Editorial Assistant - Canada Summer Jobs
About the job
Memorial University Press is a scholarly publisher, with a focus on the North Atlantic region. We publish four books a year, as well as the bi-annual journal of Newfoundland and Labrador Studies. Working under the direction of the Managing Editor, the editorial assistant will work closely with press staff on editorial, marketing, sales, and administrative tasks related to the production and promotion of our books, as well as tasks related to the day-to-day operation of the press. Candidates should have an interest in the publishing industry.
Temporary. This is an eight (8) week position at 35 hours per week for eligible youth (ages 15-30) for summer employment. The hourly rate is $14.80 funded by the Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs program. Work will be performed at the Memorial University offices in St. John’s, (unless public health guidelines dictate differently) Monday to Friday between the hours of 9 am to 5 pm (there is some flexibility with these hours). Physical distancing and enhanced cleaning protocols are in place.
• An interest in the publishing industry
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
• Experience with social media content creation and marketing
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Research skills
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills
• Experience using and maintaining databases
• Creativity, energy, and a willingness to learn!
• Experience with Adobe products (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, etc) is an asset, though not required
• Experience maintaining websites using Site Builder is an asset, though not required
Duties may include
• General administrative tasks (mail handling, filing, scanning, email correspondence, etc)
• Content creation for social media, blog, newsletters, and/or website
• Data collection and data entry
• Filling website orders
• Writing and or/proofreading marketing copy
• Manuscript preparation and/or proofreading
• Assistance with layout of books/journals
• Communicating with customers, authors, and vendors
Apply by email to email@example.com with a cover letter and resumé. Deadline for applications is June 25, 2021.
Memorial University Press is committed to employment equity and diversity and to providing a safe and respectful work environment. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, people of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression; Indigenous peoples; visible minorities and racialized people; and people with disabilities.